Rue des Rosiers, ©Guilhem Vellut

From the 13th century, the Marais was home to a Jewish community which remained there until its expulsion in the 14th century. Fleeing poverty and persecution, Jews from Eastern countries and those from Alsace settled there in the 19th century. Around Rue des Rosiers and Place Saint-Paul, renamed Pletz (“small place” in Yiddish), the newcomers built synagogues and opened food businesses.

During the Second World War, the Marais was decimated. But in the 1960s and 70s, Jews from North Africa came to repopulate the neighborhood. Today, Israeli street food rubs shoulders with Delicatessen and fashion brands.

Former Saint Paul hammam
Former Saint Paul hammam, ©Le Marais Mood

Built in 1863, this hammam was then called “Roman baths”. In 1928, a new facade was created by the architects Boucheron and Jouhaud. We can read the inscription Hammam Saint-Paul painted in yellow.

Housing a swimming pool and a hammam, the establishment was popular with the Jewish community living in the marsh from the beginning of the 1960th century to the XNUMXs. At the end of the XNUMXth century, this place was converted into a store.

4 Rue des Rosiers, 75004 Paris

Agoudas Hakehilos Synagogue

Agoudas Hakehilos Synagogue, ©Le Marais Mood

We also say "synagogue of rue Pavée" for this building created in 1913 by the architect Hector Guimard, the Parisian master of Art Nouveau who created his only religious building there.

The Agoudas Hekehilos association comes from nine Orthodox Israelite societies mainly of Russian origin. This synagogue is still in operation.

10 Rue Pavée, 75004 Paris

Tournelles Synagogue

Tournelles Synagogue, Paris, ©Chabe01

Its construction, in Roman-Byzantine style, decided under Napoleon III, was completed after his reign. There is a stained glass rose window. Since 1876, it has been dedicated to the Ashkenazic rite.

During the Second World War, it was destroyed and emptied of its faithful, most of whom were deported.

21 Rue des Tournelles, 75004 Paris

Charles Liché Synagogue

Built in 1963, it is located in the Hôtel de Ribault, on the 1st floor. Charles Liché, – Charles Lichenstein-, survivor of Auschwitz, was the supervisor of the Tournelles synagogue.

When the consistory decided to move from the Ashkenazic rite to the Sephardic rite, Lichenstein began to officiate here. Formerly the Place des Vosges synagogue, it was renamed in homage to “Liché” in 2006.

14 Place des Vosges, 75004 Paris

Our Lady of Nazareth Synagogue
Notre-Dame de Nazareth synagogue facade, ©Lepocheux

One of the oldest synagogues in Paris, attached to the consistory. Designed by the architect Sandrié de Jouy, inaugurated in 1822, it has galleries for women.

Following anomalies, it was rebuilt by the architect Alexandre Thierry and reopened its doors in 1852. This synagogue has an organ, an extraordinary fact for the time. The actress Rachel, model of Sarah Bernardt, was a faithful visitor of the place.

15 Rue Notre Dame de Nazareth, 75003 Paris

Roger Fleischman Foundation Oratory

This place created in the Pletz (small square in Yiddish) in 1931, symbolizes the multiplication of oratories or circles of prayer and study in the 1930s. Very popular with the Ashkenazi population, it was decommissioned in the post-war period. to experience a revival in the sixties with the arrival of the Sephardim.

The oratory is currently being restored.

18 rue des Ecouffes, 75004 Paris

Church and cloister of Billettes
Cloister and church of Billettes, ©Le Marais Mood

Accused of having desecrated a host, Jonathan, a Jewish pawnbroker, was burned at Place de Grève and his house transformed into an expiatory chapel. The label then given “the house where God boiled” is aptly named.

To this building was added in the 1980th century the current Billettes cloister. Since the French Revolution, it has been a Protestant Lutheran parish. In the XNUMXs, the sculptor Philippe Kaeppelin created the altar and the lectern.

24 Street Archives, 75004 Paris

ORT school

Opened in 1852, this vocational school became a subsidiary of the ORT in 1957 (a Jewish philanthropic society with an educational vocation founded in Russia in 1880. Its staff and students were rounded up between 1943 and 44.

4 bis Rue des Rosiers, 75004 Paris

Bookstore of Temple Chir Hadach

Created in the 1970s, this small independent bookstore offers books on literature and learning the Hebrew language, objects of worship (candlesticks, mezuzas, candles) and Jewish art (beautiful books, paintings, sculptures). You will definitely find what you are looking for there.

1 Rue des Hospitalières Saint-Gervais, 75004 Paris

School of Hospitallers

Opened in 1847, the first Jewish school in Paris provided both religious and secular education. It became public in 1880. Some 260 children from the school were arrested and deported in 1942.

Commemorative plaques maintain their memory. Secular, it is however closed on Saturdays due to the massive attendance of Jewish students.

10 Rue des Hospitalières Saint-Gervais, 75004 Paris

Shoah Memorial

Shoah Memorial, ©Le Marais Mood

Archive center and museum with permanent and temporary exhibitions, this place allows you to better understand Jewish history during the Second World War.

Since 2005-2006, it has highlighted other genocides of the XNUMXth century, that of the Armenians and that of the Tutsi of Rwanda.

17 Rue Geoffroy l'Asnier, 75004 Paris

The MAHJ
Hôtel de Saint-Aignant and courtyard of the MAHJ, ©Jérôme Galland

Museum of art and history of Judaism, it is located in the Saint-Aignan hotel. This space houses a unique collection in the world about the Jewish presence in France since the Middle Ages.

Objects of worship, manuscripts, textiles and documents on the Dreyfus affair. We admire the paintings of Chagall, Soutine but also the contemporary works of Sophie Calle.

71 rue du Temple, 75004 Paris

Hotel Saint-Aignan

Built in the 1644th century, the Hôtel Davaux, a large aristocratic-style mansion, has become the Hôtel Saint-Aignan, one of the most beautiful historical monuments in the Marais. Built between 1650 and 1792 by the architect Pierre le Mute, it was confiscated by the French state in XNUMX following the Revolution.

Then bought by the city of Paris in 1962 and classified as a historic monument in 1963. Today, it is the headquarters of the MAHJ.

71 rue du Temple, 75004 Paris

Joseph-Migneret Rose Garden

Rose Garden – Joseph-Migneret, ©Chabe 01

Located between rue des Francs-Bourgeois and rue des Rosiers, with a surface area of ​​2135 square meters, this green space brings together the private gardens of the surrounding mansions. Joseph Migneret, director of the Hospitalières school, protected Jewish children during the Second World War.

Created in 2007, it was completed in 2014. Fig and chestnut trees line the promenade as well as shared gardens and espalier sculptures.

10 Rue des Rosiers, 75004 Paris

Anne-Frank Garden
Former Saint Paul hammam, ©Le Marais Mood

In 2007, the inauguration of this garden inspired by Le Nôtre, resulted in the planting of a shoot from Anne Frank's chestnut tree (she talks about it in her diary).

This corner of greenery extends over four thousand square meters, in the former gardens of the Saint-Aignan hotel. It is the only municipal green space in the Sainte-Avoye district.

14 Imp. Berthaud, 75003 Paris

Text: Valérie Rodrigue

02.05.24

FOR PASSIONATES OFUS

The Enfants Rouges market, everyone loves it

The Enfants Rouges market, everyone loves it

Restaurants, merchants, a photo store, a bookstore... This is how the Red Children's Market presents itself, unique in its kind in the Marais and its capital because it is the only one to offer such a varied and varied range of restaurants. qualitative.

Victor Hugo, the writer with a thousand talents

Victor Hugo, the writer with a thousand talents

Born in 1802, Victor Hugo became a social writer, a playwright, a poet, a novelist and a romantic designer. Nicknamed the man-ocean then the man-century, he is a political figure and a committed intellectual. He found success with Notre-Dame-de-Paris in 1831 and with Les Misérables in 1862.

Millet, from the mountains to the Marais

Millet, from the mountains to the Marais

From the top of this outdoor and technical clothing store, a hundred years of family history gaze down upon you. Created in 1921 in Chamonix, the Millet brand is still managed by the family of the same name. It is therefore a bit of French heritage and know-how that arrives from the Alps to settle in the Marais…

Divine brunch at the foot of Notre-Dame

Divine brunch at the foot of Notre-Dame

Of course, officially, it is not the Marais. But at Son de la Terre, a barge recently moored at the Montebello quay (5th), the 4th arrondissement is in sight. Moreover, this one is incredible: on one side, it is Notre-Dame flooded with sunlight; on the other, the quays, the book sellers, the walkers, the joggers.

Saka, a cocktail bar like in Tokyo

Saka, a cocktail bar like in Tokyo

Here is an address which gives the measure of the transformation of the Marais. And it's enough to silence the grumpy people whose mantra is: “It was better before…” No, everything was not better “before” in the Marais. Besides, there was no American bar like Saka, which cultivates a form of excellence that can only be found in Japan.

WHAAAAAAAT?!

 

All your friends tell you about the Marais Mood newsletter but you haven't received it?

Sign up here to receive weekly news from your favorite neighborhood. ☆

Welcome ! You are subscribed to the Marais Mood newsletter!